Friday 21 August 2020

Agility With Sound in the Classroom.

For Term 1 of 2020 our new entrant enrolment numbers meant I was not needed in the classroom. Instead I was able to spend time getting an Agility With Sound programme set up in the Year 5 space. After testing all the children, who were reading well below their Year level, I set up 3 groups involving 11 children whose reading age ranged from Level 9 through to Level 18. Of these children there were a couple who had had a brief introduction to AWS at the end of 2019.

I started taking these children for lessons in Week 3 starting with learning the independent tasks they would be expected to do.  In week 5 I started taking them for AWS lessons also. The idea was to get these children familiar with the routines and expectations and then add the other identified children once we had got underway. The intention was also to support the teachers in moving to taking over the AWS lessons once the children had become familiar with the routines, In general the children I took predominantly spent the literacy block being under my supervision and completed both reading and writing tasks I had set them. 

This initial setting up phase took longer than I expected. Some of the children were easily off task during their independent work and needed lots of check-ins and monitoring. On the whole though the children were happy about doing the programme in class and enjoyed the lessons.. There definitely felt an improvement in the engagement and focus when compared to the previous year's groups where I had withdrawal groups after morning tea and in the afternoons and the children were often missing activities they would liked to have been doing.

Here is an example of the daily tasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment